Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Crossing the Line

I have a question. Is it proper for a member of a news organization to publicly taunt the subject of an ongoing story? Last week WMAY’s Pamela Furr posted this on her blog:
WHERE'S THE BILL OF SALE?

We're waiting, Sam Cahnman. You said you'd have proof for us on Thursday of your sale of the vehicle that was found registered to you.. with drug paraphernalia in it. Today is Friday. Will we have it Monday?
Furr, who is part of the WMAY news staff, also has a talk show. I have no idea what she did or didn’t say about the strange Cahnman car story on her talk show (I’m not able to listen), but if its anything like the blog post, I think she’s crossed a line. The blog post itself crosses that line in my opinion. Yes, as of the time of the post there were still questions, but I’m not sure taunting Cahnman was the way to go. What makes good blogging or talk show fodder doesn’t always make for good journalism. I’m not sure you can just switch hats that easily in cases like this.

Now I understand the dilemma. I used to be a news director at a radio station and I did a talk show at the same station. Sometimes it was a fine line to walk, but I don’t ever remember calling out the subject of a developing news story that our station was covering.

I guess it’s just a matter of degree, but it seems to me that there is a way to raise and discuss questions without being antagonistic about it. It’s a hazard that comes with doing two jobs.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only did she cross the line but she refuses to offer Cahnman an apology over this mess. She has zero credibility and when Madonia said things about the way she conducted herself she belittled Sam Madonia as well. I hope she knows who she is messing with as many in Spfld like Madonia and she could find herself with no friends real quick.Cahnman doesn't have to prove anything to Pam. Pam is not the law. Maybe she can talk about why she owes the city well over $1000 for parking fines??? She didn't plug meters while others needed those spots to do actual business downtown. Come on Pam explain why you...knowingly knew you were in the wrong but kept doing it. Elderly people could have used that space but no you and that fat behind needed it so you didn't have to walk as far. Lady you need to walk and I mean completely walk out of town.

Anonymous said...

Everyone can't be a Walter Cronkite, or Edward R. Murrow.

She's doing a good job I think, maybe a bit overzealous, but she means well.

JP

Marie said...

Considering that words written on the internet don't always read the way they are intended (and we should all know this by now), I wonder if that's just her way of being playful. Otherwise, it sounds contemptuous.

Okay, I just read the comments and her comment that she reported the story like everyone else. Well, not really. I don't think any of those others ended their story on such a scornful note.

So, yes, she crossed the line. As a consumer of news, I find it distasteful and she loses credibility. If I had a story or was part of a story, I wouldn't talk to that reporter.

Anonymous said...

Leave Sammy alone. If Ferr doesn't leave Samie the can man alone she will have to come through Crocker and me. I mean it.. Leave Sammy ALONE. He is the can man. Leave Sammie Alone.

Anonymous said...

I think Cahnman got lucky in the Pamela decided to not push sexually harassment charges right before the past election when Cahnman cornered her and tried to kiss her. The guy is cheesy. I am still waiting for him to explain why he carried insurance on the drug car.

Marie said...

How do you know he tried to kiss her, rickmonday?

Anonymous said...

Pam Furr needs to let Sam go. She should patch up her personal life and move on. Sam should be more kind to her. She is certainly hurting from their relationship. It is always difficult after a loss. There is some one for Pam somewhere. Hope she finds him. If not here in Springfield maybe some other city. I hope her leaving WMAY will not hurt so bad as her loss of Sam.

Good Luck Pam. I hope you find happiness.

Anonymous said...

I am so sick and tired of Furr I could scream. WMAY use to have very good hosts but they lower themselves and hired this bimbo who doesn't have a clus about anything political in this town. Then when you try to tell her she acts like nobody knows anything but her. For somebody who refused...and yes I said...refused to pay her parking tickets, I can hardly wait till she leaves Spfld. She owes Cahnman an apology for what she did. I will NEVER support any advertiser or anything that she is a part of....NOTHING!!!!.

Anonymous said...

I heard that Leach is going to let her go over this Sam thing of hers. Also they are loosing money on her and you are right. WMAY is going down the tubes. Look at whats happening on their web page.
Terrible...

Anonymous said...

to Marie,

He did try to kiss her, actually he may have. It was all over the radio when it happened. I tried googling it and couldnt find a reference but it happened a few days or so before the last election. She was interviewing him at the radio station and when he went to leave he cornered her and either tried to or did lay a big fat wet one on her.

Anonymous said...

Hey Albert - where did you hear that Leach was going to let her go? I head him defending her on his show just yesterday. What's the scoop?