Thursday, September 22, 2005

Just a Stones Throw Away

I was having an email conversation with my old friend (he is almost 3 months older than me!) SG the other day. He was torn about taking his daughter to the upcoming Rolling Stones concert. His daughter, who is 13, has a real love of the great 60s British Invasion bands and wants to see one of the last of those great acts still performing. But SG is worried about the cost. It is a lot and the cheap seats are gone.

I told him to go for it. She may not get the chance again. Of course, that's easy for me to say; it isn't my money. Still, as I told him, I often kick myself for having passed up easy opportunities to see acts that I now whish I had made the effort to see. One of my biggest regrets is not having seen the Ramones when they played at SIU while I was there. Tickets back then were dirt-cheap and I can't remember now what lame reason I came up with not to go. (SG, demonstrating his superior wisdom, did go to that show by the way).

I was smart enough to go see the Stones twice in my life (1981 and 1994). And tonight while looking for something else, I came across this picture I took before the 1981 show:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wow! Look at the prices. Talk about inflation.

Maybe SG can print out the tickets pictured above and try to scalp them to offset the cost of going this year. Either way, he should take his daughter, don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to think that if the cost is overbearing, he shouldn't do it. Too many people spend too much money on things they can't really afford. It's just a concert after all.

Anonymous said...

I saw them the week after you did at the Rosemont Horizon.