Friday, September 23, 2005

Singing the Blues

I’m convinced different kinds of memory are stored separately in different parts of the brain. I can’t remember names for anything. I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday. But other things come to mind easily.

Last night I was in my car listening to WQNA when the Moody Blues song “Melancholy Man” came on. I have not heard that song in 20 or 25 years. Last night I knew the lyrics perfectly, didn’t miss a word. How is that possible after all this time? I used to hear the song quite a bit because it was on the Moody’s compilation This is the Moody Blues released back in the mid-1970s. Apparently, everyone my age had a copy in high school. When I went away to college, we were all surprised that virtually every guy on my dorm floor had a copy. Who knew.

The Moody Blues’ new material got really, really lame by the late 1970s and I’m not sure the old stuff really holds up that well these days either. Still, I’ve wanted to get a copy of This is the Moody Blues for some time and after last night I want to more than ever.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Weird, I was just thinking the other day about how bizarre it is to still remember songs that you haven't heard in 20 years -- right down to being able to hum the guitar solo note for note.

However, I have to take exception to your dismissive comments about post-70's Moodies. Long Distance Voyager, circa 1981, has some great moments, e.g. Gemini Dream and the Voice.

And around '86, they had a song called Blue World that was not a big hit, but still a beautiful tune.

But then again, I do a Friday feature blogging about ELO, so that probably tells you something.

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

Breath deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Pensive people look back and lament
Another day useless in a life spent
O’ cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Remove the color from our sight
Red is grey and yellow-white
But we decide which is right
And which is . . . an illusion


This may not be word-for-word correct, but it’s from memory, no help from the Internet. I’m not proud of it either.

Anonymous said...

Hallo if you like old blues, visit my blog. Blues history in croatian, but some mp3 too.
http://blueser.blog.hr/
Bye, blueser!