Monday, November 20, 2006

Mobbed

...
What is the fascination our society has with organized crime? Why do so many people want to read about it, and see it on television and in the movies? I’ve never understood it, particularly as a form of entertainment. Is it because crime family stories offer a soap opera suitable for men? I mean, that’s really what it is, Days of Our Lives with machine guns.

I’ll admit it: I never liked The Godfather or any of its sequels. I’ve never been able to sit through any organized crime movie without thinking I really, really don’t like any of these people. Additionally, watching characters caught up in their nearly always fatal occupations makes me uncomfortable. It’s sort of like the way I felt watching Sid and Nancy, hopeless people in hopeless situations of their own making. Yet, the whole thing borders on glamorizing killers, thugs and thieves. And the genre thrives. And it's not limited to fiction. We are fascinated by real-life mobsters as well. What do you people see in this stuff?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have to try to learn what the bad guys are like. Know thy enemy. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Seriously, mostly I like mysteries because it's interesting to figure out who done it. If a show is violent, I shut my eyes and sometimes my ears during icky stuff. :)

Anonymous said...

Some of Dave relate to the sense of desparation. An ethnic minority in a new land confronting social, and economic obstacles carries on a tradition stretching back thousands of years.

They prey upon their own, but there are millions of gang members in the United States today, and that seems to suggest that a huge number of people feel alienated from the promises made to us all as children about the life we can achieve if we just play by the rules.

Is it a good life - no.

Is it something we can flip the remote on - yes for those living the comfortable, and safe life.

Should it be ignored - no.

It is a symptom of a problem which should be addressed.

Was the Godfather series a serious attempt to address such issues - certainly not.

Was it entertaining - absolutely.

To compare Sid & Nancy to the Godfather - where you coming from on that Dave?

JP (ebert)