Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Ask Yourself This

Cenk asks the right questions:
…A recent CNN poll showed that only 35 percent of Americans are confident we're going to win this war [in Iraq]. So, there must be panic in the streets, right?

I mean if we're not going to win the war, then we must be getting ready for the enemy to take over.

Our whole way of life is going to change, right?

Or perhaps everything will go on exactly as it was before.

How do you know you were in an unnecessary war? When you can't tell it's over.

If we pulled out of Iraq tomorrow, would anyone in the middle of America be able to tell the difference between the two days? Would anyone's life be different (other than the troops and their families)?
Of course not. And it’s realizations like this that make the stupid wingnut WWII comparisons beyond laughable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sort of take a different view here. I have said in the recent past that I think we have accomplished our mission in Iraq:

1. Saddam is gone thus successfully completing regime change called for by Clinton

2. Constitution is in place

3. Elections have been held.

Thus, it is time for us to go.

However, I recently read Ted Koppel's take on the Iraq situation and it gave me some pause about my current views. Maybe, just maybe, we still need to be there to protect our vital interests: anti-terrorism and yes Oil and Natural Gas. Some people may not like to hear this but Oil is unfortunately a vital interest to the US. Until the justice department releases the patents on alternative energies locked up by the oil companies, we need to protect the oil flow.

I am not going to copy everything that Koppel said but here is a link to some of his comments. I consider him an expert on the mid-east. He started covering that area during the Jimmy Carter administration and his debacle with the Iran hostages.

Although, some may say this link is a right wing site, I did a google search on Koppel and Iraq War and only found right wing sites. (hmmm, makes you wonder why the mainstream media didnt hype his comments more. Maybe its the vast left wing conspiracy.)

http://www.hyscience.com/archives/2007/03/ted_koppel_on_t.php

Again, I still think that we should be gone from Iraq for the reasons stated above. But like any good open minded person, I am starting to reconsider my position based on new information.

I would be more than happy to civily discuss this topic if there are any takers.