Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Kids Killed the Jeopardy Star

A couple of days ago, Kevin Drum posted this item on how youth is being blamed for the alleged dumbing-down of America. This time they are being blamed for…making quiz shows too easy. Oh whatever.

I keep harping on this stuff because I think it’s really unfair. I’ve actually been angry about this stuff since I was one of those stupid kids. It was while I was in high school in the mid 1970s that the first (I think) wave of the “Johnny Can’t Read” meme swept the national media. Of course, most of us went on to do just fine, some I personally know who are even excelling in the some of the largest corporations in the country.

I’ll go so far as to say that, thanks to technology, in many ways youth today is better informed and educated than we were. Otherwise, kids don’t seem all that different “these days”. I have a daughter who is about to be inducted into the National Honor Society and observing her curriculum and those of other kids I know, I think they are learning things way ahead of where we were at the same age.

Beyond that, I work with a bunch of twenty-somethings who are extremely bright and critical to our operation. These are the people make our precious quiz shows stooopider? I still say this stuff comes from a bunch of middle-aged media types (and others) who resent getting older.

1 comment:

ThirtyWhat said...

Don't you think every generation is the same? I mean, there are kids of all kinds no matter what decade or century we're talking about.

There will always be kids who grow up to be nuclear physicists or NASA engineers ...

There will always be kids who grow up to work in construction or office work ...

And there will always be kids who grow up and need to find work in some kind of job that doesn't require a lot of "mental agility."

I don't think this generation's any stupider than mine ... cause, damn ... somebody in the 80's had to be buying those Flock of Seagulls tapes!