Monday, March 05, 2007

The Disaster Card

Bruce Strom is talking about Mayor Tim Davlin’s campaign ads that use last year’s tornados as a backdrop when he says this:
"It's unfortunate that the mayor chooses to use a disaster to somehow frame himself … in sort of a heroic posture," Strom said. "You know, the city of Springfield, after 9/11, began developing an emergency response plan.

"What the mayor did was simply have the opportunity to execute that plan. I don't think he, individually, played a significant role in having that plan. He just happened to be the mayor at the time the opportunity presented itself to execute the plan."
I agree with Strom on this point. I would also like to extent this sentiment to a national figure. One running for president largely on the basis of having been mayor of New York on 9/11.


Both men did there jobs during a catastrophe and that’s all well and good. Meeting expectations is always a good thing. But riding a disaster to further your political ambitions just doesn’t sit well with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rudy isnt the only one who has tried to benefit from a disaster. I cant find the link, but I do recall Bill Clinton stating that he was disappointed that 911 did not happen on his watch. (maybe I am wrong, just going off memory)

But, Rudy won't win the presidency. Too many skeletons in his closet. His only chance is if Mrs. Bill Clinton beats Obama in the primary. She is extremely polarizing and will bring out the religious right to vote against her. If Obama wins, I think the religious right will either vote for Obama or stay home. I dont think they will vote for Rudy or even McCain. My only early prediction is that this next election is for the democrats to lose. And if Mrs. Bill Clinton is the nominee, they just might.