Friday, March 02, 2007

A Heartbeat Away From A Bus Crash

Perhaps this is just a reflection of some personal neurosis, but whenever I’m on a bus, particularly one that is traveling at higher speeds (like on a highway), I worry about the health of the bus driver. People pass out (or even die) suddenly all the time. If that were to happen while on the interstate the results would be horrible. Planes and trains have multiple people involved in operating things and this acts as a failsafe. Buses have just one driver in control and that’s it. Something happens to him or her and everyone aboard is screwed. I try not to think about this as I put my son on a school bus every day.

I have no idea if bus driver error or ill-health caused this accident in Atlanta, but it only reinforces my fears. And I'm sure that there is some statistic showing bus travel to be safer than driving a car but that still doesn't comfort me.

No comments: