Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Build It And They Will Come To Springfield?

Micah over at Just Two Guys has an ambitious proposal for a new baseball stadium in Springfield. I wouldn’t call it a plan exactly because it’s just in the dream stage and the dirty details (like cost and location) aren’t addressed.

Still, ignoring the devilish details for a moment, it is fun to imagine a brand spanking new ballpark in or near (I’d say near) downtown. The pictures of stadiums from other comparably sized cities make it all the more enticing.

My biggest problem with any such undertaking is that I fear if it is built they won’t come. Springfield has a horrible track record for supporting baseball. And we’ve been given every opportunity to prove ourselves worthy but have failed miserably. Can it all, or mostly, be blamed on Lamphier Park? I’m not so sure.

Lamphier Park, Just OK

However, Micah is right, a nice facility would be a draw in and of itself. At least at first. In the end though, it would be about supporting the local team and I have to wonder if this city is up for that.

3 comments:

Rich Miller said...

Back when I was a Northender I personally opposed a proposed stadium in the mall area because I often bicycled to games at Lanphier.

But I now admit that was short-sided and selfish on my part.

If we want well-attended baseball, the stadium, I'm afraid, has to be where the traffic is. That traffic certainly isn't near Lanphier, and definitely not downtown. As much as it pains me to say it, out west is probably the best place.

And, by the way, I don't live out west, so I'm not speaking from self-interest this time.

Micah said...

I have thought of the support for a team question. I have always heard that Springfield doesn't support minor league baseball. I do believe it is the location and facilities. I think if you give the people a great family experience and a team to be proud of, they will come. I don't even care if it's Class A Devil Rays. On the facilities topic, I have also wondered why the PCCC has never been upgraded to be able to have hockey. The Junior Blues have alot of fans and it's been done in other cities. That's a question for another day.

Anonymous said...

Peoria is less than an hour drive to see pretty good baseball and a nice park. Springfield let its park crumble, Even the IHSA abandoned ship. It's too late.