Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Dopey Law Enforcement

I’d say this makes no sense but then nothing having to do with this country's marijuana laws makes any sense.
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- A California woman whose doctor says marijuana is the only medicine keeping her alive is not immune from federal prosecution on drug charges, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The case was brought by Angel Raich, an Oakland mother of two who suffers from scoliosis, a brain tumor, chronic nausea and other ailments. On her doctor's advice, she eats or smokes marijuana every couple of hours to ease her pain and bolster a nonexistent appetite as conventional drugs did not work.



Raich, 41, began sobbing when she was told of the decision and said she would continue using the drug.

"I'm sure not going to let them kill me," she said. "Oh my God."
What possible harm is this woman doing anyone by smoking pot? What asshole would hassle her over this? Even if you feel bound to enforce dumb drug laws, can't you look the other way in cases like this? Idiots.

Update: I see that no one was bothering this woman, she just wanted to be out from under the potential threat of prosecution under federal statutes, therefore she sued. State law in California allows for her medical use of marijuana but federal law conflicts with this and does not recognize that right.

Still, the whole situation is ridiculous. The government should not be in the business of telling anyone they can't smoke pot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% that marijuana should be legal. Alcohol causes alot more problems than pot does, yet it is legal.

If pot were legalized and regulated we would enjoy the following benefits:

1. Prison population would greatly decrease saving society millions if not billions.

2. Tax revenues would increase as I am sure that this would be considered a sin tax.

3. Less crime in poor neighborhoods as a large portion of their cash crop would be gone. Of course cocaine and heroin would still exist so we would not put them completely out of business.

Although I am 100% for legalization, I do admit that I have one concern. Will pot smoking lead to graduating drug use such as coke, crack, or heroin? I am not sure if it would or not, I doubt it as I know people who smoke pot on a regular basis who dont do harder drugs. Then on the other hand, I know coke users who started with pot in high school.

ThirtyWhat said...

I have to agree ...

I always thought it seemed hypocritical to tell people, "You can't smoke marijuana ... now excuse me while I pour this Jack and Coke."

Anonymous said...

I, too, agree.

Not only is this a California state law, but a law that the people of the state voted for. That should count for something. But, apparently not enough to override federal law.

To address Rick's concern. Of all the people I knew who smoked pot, and there were lots, only one ever "graduated" to harder drugs. However, there were other problems that contributed to that. So, I can't say it was because of the pot.

Also, I have a plan for diffusing the cocaine problem in this country. But, I'll save that for my own blog.

Anonymous said...

pot heads! :)

now excuse me while I go sniff some paint thinner