Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Deerfellas

Funny thing. Yesterday I was contemplating the onset of Spring and began wondering if the Deer Insurgency would flare up again in Southern Illinois. If it does, I thought, I better be prepared to blog about it for the third year in a row. (For past coverage see here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here.)

Then late last night while I was getting ready to head to bed, I happened to look out a front window. Out on the front lawn I was startled to see four shadowy figures, four legged figures, just standing there. I went to the front door and switched on the lights. As the florescent bulbs slowly gained full strength I opened the door and found myself face to face with four full-grown deer. They were just standing there, looking at me. (I won’t say they were like deer in the headlights.) Slowly they backed off and wondered off across the street between two houses.

Now, I’ve seen deer beyond my back fence in the field behind my house but never in the front yard. No doubt these deer were at my doorstep with the intention of trying to intimidate me from covering any impending deer insurgency. Oh, message received hoofed ones! But I’m not afraid and the coverage will continue as warranted. And if you’re planning anything in my neighborhood, just remember, I know what you look like now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I married you - oh one with such a great sense of humor! Thanks for the morning laugh.

Mrs TEH

John said...

Dave-

I love your deer posts. They were among the best Springfield blog posts of last year. I hope to see more of them.

Don't let the deer intimidate you, man. You have a duty to tell your story.

Anonymous said...

Was Layla playing in the background as they sauntered across the street?

Anonymous said...

Actually, in my head I was hearing CCR’s Looking Out My Back Door.

Forward troubles Illinois, lock the front door, oh boy!
Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
Bother me tomorrow, today, Ill buy no sorrows.

Doo, doo, doo, lookin out my back door.

Rich Miller said...

You gotta be careful with the Deer Mafia. They can be brutal, man. They'll go so far as to throw themselves in front of your car!

Anonymous said...

Rich,

Shhhhhhh! IDD’s (Improvised Deer Dartings) are a well-established tactic among deer insurgents. It’s already happened to me and I don’t want them to know I’m on to them. I’m gathering evidence.