Monday, May 19, 2008

Jurassic Rock

Working in the garage with me yesterday, my son, almost 5, wanted me to turn on the radio. I have an old receiver in the garage with some rough outdoor speakers. I hardly ever use it since I’m rarely in the garage long enough to bother. Anyway, I turn on the receiver and it’s set at WYMG where I leave it, not really caring that much what crappy local station is we listen to. At some point, it occurs to me that the songs they’re playing are no different from the “classic rock” tunes they were playing 10 or 15 or 20 years ago (I think they’ve been around 20 years now).
So at what point can a newer song be graduated (retired?) into the “classic rock” genre? Or is classic rock just another word for 1970s rock hits? Not that they’re playing bad songs –I liked most of them at some point, 30 years ago- but who can stand to listen to the same Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and Boston songs for decades on end? Gah…get me my satellite radio.

2 comments:

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

The AARP granted Lenny Kravitz classic rock radio privileges for all new releases.

New John "Mellencamp" Cougar songs can also be played after the exclusivity deal with General Motors expires.

Anonymous said...

I always think of classic rock as 70's rock. But the only good rock was created in the late 80's/early 90's. My very favorite radio station in Chgo, Q101 (followed closely by XRT) has gloriously all but frozen in that wonderful period of musical goodness.