Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Blogston Legal

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a fan of the ABC TV series Boston Legal. The reasons are many but the fact that it doesn’t take itself too seriously is one of its more endearing characteristics for me. Often there is a little aside or inside joke not directly related to the story that is clearly out of place but is fun to catch. Last night for instance, at the end of the show, as Alan (James Spader) walks in to join Denny (William Shatner) in their usual show-ending cigar-time wrap-up of the days events, Alan says something like, “I haven’t seen much of you this episode, Denny”, pulling us back to reality and reminding us this is only a TV show. I blogged about another great example here.

But get this: I think I’ve detected on the show a subtle nod blogs, particularly liberal blogs. On an episode right before the show temporarily went away for the holidays last month, there was a reference in a courtroom scene to a judge (I think) named Kevin Drum. The blogger Kevin Drum can be found here. Now, last night’s show was the first new one I’ve seen since the holiday break and I swear there was, again in a courtroom scene, a mention of another big league blog and not in the context of blogging in any way. I’m not sure that’s what I heard and I need to look back at the tape to verify it before I embarrass myself. Anyway, I’m now on the lookout for more references in future shows to confirm, my suspicion.

Speaking of Boston Legal, Michel J. Fox is on the show for a few episodes. It’s good to see him working again. I’ve been wondering for years if Fox was ever going to look older than 19. Last night, watching him, I think I finally saw the older-already Fox. Since we are about the same age it made me feel older too.

No comments: