Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Blogging About Bloggers In the News

Thanks to Dave Bakke for the write-up in the SJ-R today on Springfield bloggers. There is no on-line link to the article that I can find but it’s on page 19 of the paper (the front page of the City State section, left-most column).

He even mentions our new effort Look Back Springfield. I’m glad I got that blog up when I did. I didn’t know I was working against a deadline; it just worked out that way.

I did notice he only talked to bloggers who use their real (or whole) name. Not a big deal but I’ve noticed a lot of the “Main Stream Media” types are uncomfortable with hidden identities.

Also, DownLeft didn’t get a mention. Gyp! He’s actually doing some fresh reporting in addition to regular commentary. Oh well, WE love you DL. Everyone go visit his site now in protest of this atrocity!

Bakke also discovers the dirty secret about bloggers:
There has to be ego in the blog mix somewhere. Otherwise, why would you think people care what you think about an issue or what you did last night?
To read me is to love me!

5 comments:

Dave said...

No problem DL. I'm not sure how much new traffic any of us are going to get from the article which is absent any URLs.

Anonymous said...

I've gotten a lot of traffic from people doing a google search for "Blog Free Springfield" this morning. My site shows up before Dan's in the results for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Some bloggers, I don't include myself in this category, due to very good reasons (FBI Most Wanted List, Outstanding Parking Tickets, Psycho ExWives, Etc.) have to remain anonymous.

Blogging is a bridge between the private, and public life. Some feel comfortable publishing anonymously, while others don't mind the additional vulnerability of becoming a public persona.

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Perhaps, waiting to see of news reports of the first serial killer who predates on bloggers. I'll want to stay out of that one.

JeromeProphet

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

When I talked to Bakke, he asked me if I knew the identities of DownLeft and JeromeProphet. I told him that DownLeft was the alias of local firebrand and Shooting Sport host Tom Shafer. I don't think he believed me. Actually, I told him I don't know because I don't.

I can understand the reasons for wanting to stay anonymous, but I also see how it presents a credibility issue for those reading a blog.

As far as a privacy issue, I'm a freelance writer and have been published frequently but have never experienced any type of backlash. You can be critical as long as your fair and honest. I haven't read anything that any of you have written that wouldn't fall into that category.

JeromeProphet said...

I'm going to say something that will most likely get me kicked out of the blogging club - even though I already gave Dave, the11thhour man, the two hundred dollar fee for signing up on blogger:

I've talked with the shooting sport dude many times over the years. I've even watched his show on occassion. Sometimes I feel he has lost touch with reality - but then I ask myself what is reality? I guess his POV is exactly that, his POV.

Tom has put a huge amount of time, and effort into his cable access program. Just consider the research, writing, and production time he invest with every show.

For people like myself - blogging is an intellectual luxury. I'm just plain tired by the time I get home from work & the fitness center (must go there every day before I come home - or else go insane). Then there's handling the demands of being a good spouse, and parent, which takes away what little time, and energy remains. Modern life seems designed to turn us all into apathetic puddles of mud.

So when I consider Mr. Shafer's dogged pursuit of, whatever he happens to be interested in for that program, I'm impressed. Not always by what he says, or even how he says it - but that he even says it at all.

About being fair, and honest?

If you continue to use the term Fair and Honest, I'll have to sue you. I have that trademarked.