Friday, June 24, 2005

The Cooption of Roger

Congratulations to Central Illinois native Roger Ebert for getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

But it's kind of odd isn't it. I mean, Ebert is a movie critic, not technically part of the movie industry. Right?

Well, no. This is a perfect example of how modern journalists often assimilate into the culture of their journalistic charge. The Washington press corps is the most obvious offender here. Journalists, government officials and lobbyists all feed off of each other professionally and mingle socially. This is perfectly understandable from a human nature point of view. We all frequently turn co-workers and associates into friends. But it does a great disservice to the public when the fourth estate (and the other estates) get too chummy.

I'll be honest, I cringe at stories about events like the White House Correspondents Association dinner and their local counterparts. I'm sure everyone involved will swear there's no harm to them but I wonder. Forging friendships with those with whom your are reporting on has to affect one's judgment.

1 comment:

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

Ebert did write a screenplay that was produced. I think it was called "Return to the Valley of the Dolls" and I think it sucked. That's obviously not why he got a star.

I agree that fraternization between the press and those that they cover can be problematic, or at least give the appearance of being problematic. As long as events are bi-partisan, I don't have a problem with journalists attending in a social capacity. When they start huddling on opposite sides of the dance floor, that's when it becomes worrisome.