Monday, June 06, 2005

Deep Vain

My initial reaction to the self-outing of Deep Throat's identity was one of disappointment. "We should never know who Deep Throat is", thought I. It ruins the mystery, whined I.

Sure, I quickly got over it but something I heard on the radio put it all in perspective. What I heard was Carly Simon's You're So Vain.

Actually, I almost tuned away as I am want to do when that song comes on ..."BUT WAIT!", jolted I. Screw Deeep Throat, the biggest mystery from the early 70's isn't some Watergate has-been but, rather, who is Carly Simon singing about in You're So Vain.

Hah, I feel much better with the knowledge that the really important mysteries still remain.

By the way, when Carly is 90 and has suffered a stroke and looks much like W. Mark Felt does today, I'm positive she (or her family) will identify the subject of her musical rant as Mick Jagger. Cad!

No comments: