Friday, June 24, 2005

Springfield Memories: An Announcement

Two posts on other blogs have prompted me to take on a new blogging project, hopefully with the help of others.

Last night JeromeProphet posted this nostalgic bit about the immanent demise of a Springfield building he was familiar with from childhood. Picking up on that, Jim at AbeLog started a thread on Springfield memories that has gotten some decent response. Additionally, I've been thinking for some time about adding a weekly feature on this blog showcasing old Springfield photos from my collection or maybe some from Ed Russo's many books.

So, what I've decided to do is start a new blog (while still keeping this one) dedicated to Springfield nostalgia and history. I want it to be collaborative with several regular contributors posting from time to time. Jim at Abelog has already expressed interest and I'm sure I can talk JeromeProphet into it since we have been partnering in things since we were 12 (mostly legal things too). I'd like to see Marie at Disarranging Mine participate too, but that's up to her. I invite others to join us as hosts of the blog and, of course everyone is welcome to participate via the comments sections. Posting would be at will and there will be no pressure to post daily or anything. I can't do two blogs daily and I doubt anyone else can either.

If you are interested in being a partner in this project let me know. You don't have to be an "established" blogger or anything, just be willing to post something once in a while. I think it also best if you actually grew up in Springfield (or the area) or have been here a long time. I'll set up the blog (we can argue the template/layout later) and all participants will get access to the the blog for posting.

While nothing has been decided, here's what I would like to see in the new blog: Postings about memories of Springfield's past. This might also include pictures if you have any to share. It doesn't have to be anything significant, just something you remember and want to share. I would also think historical facts, books, articles TV shows dealing with Springfield's past would be fair game too. I don't want a lot of restrictions on topics as long as they fit the theme. Use your imagination.

Also, I want to keep this thing as non-political as possible. We have our regular blogs for that. On the new blog we are all just proud Springfieldians and not political partisans.

We'll need a name for the blog too. I was thinking "Springfield Memories" or "Springfield In Time" or "Springfield Just In Time". Those aren't great but its' a starting point.

Let me know what you all think and I'll get started on it soon.

4 comments:

JeromeProphet said...

Great idea Dave.

I've been considering that very same topic for an extended bit of blogging myself.

Jim said...

Definitely count me in. I've been wanting to do some things on vintage Springfield media, which I think would fit in nicely there. And for some reason, old stores that aren't around any longer always seem to provoke great memories and stories. Let me know what I can do to help.

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

I'd be willing to participate. I grew up in Springfield, but as I age, I sometimes have trouble distinguishing between things that happened in my life, and things I saw in movies or on TV. So if I contribute a post that tells of taking Samantha Baker to see a movie at the Roxy on her 16th birthday, or the time Jeff Spicoli wrecked my brother's Camero while cruising on MacArthur Blvd., you'll forgive my confusion.

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

Or was it a Trans Am that Spicoli wrecked? I'll have to call my friend Mike Damone, who got me a job at the Platter, to see if he remembers.