Sunday, June 05, 2005

Remembering RFK

DownLeft pays tribute to Robert Kennedy on the 37th anniversary of his death. I haven't seen this metioned anywhere else, so good on DL.

As I posted in his comments, I'm barely old enough to remember that day. I was almost 8 years old, but coming on the heels of the MLK murder, it made quite an impression on me.

I remember my mother being horrified or shocked or something that me and a neighbor friend had build small memorials to the two men in my friend's rock driveway on south Spring Street. At the time, I couldn't understand what had upset her about it. It was no big deal to my friend and me, just something to do. As an adult, and a parent, I think I understand now.

Just to give RFK's departure from the scene some current perspective, had RFK lived there may have never been a "Deep Throat" or the need for one. History may truly have been changed on this day in Los Angeles nearly four decades ago. Changed for the worse.

No comments: