Tuesday, December 06, 2005

And Now For Something Completely Different

I disagree with Ezra’s basic premise that holiday (sorry Mr. O’Reilly) sugar cookies taste bad but I needed a change of subject post to cleanse my pallet of the taste of smoke.
This is what I don't get about sugar cookies. They look spectacular -- colorful, vibrant, piled with icing -- and yet invariably taste awful. They're a culinary cock tease, great to look at, terrible to take home. Why nobody decorates the many delicious cookie variants out there is a true holiday mystery. Unless the answer, simply, is that chocolate chip cookies need no flashy costumes. Unlike their dolled-up, sugar cookie cousins, we like chocolate cookies for their personality.
I actually like Christmas cookies (is that better Bill?). Of course I like most cookies. But his point about other kinds of cookies not needing to be dressed up is a good one.

Ah, that’s better.

No comments: