Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Monday Night Farewell

Oh my god, stop with the Monday Night Football eulogies. Every newscast on every station this morning is wailing over MNF’s move from ABC to ESPN. Look at it this way (I am): Nightline, or what’s left of it, will now start on time on Monday all year long. I wish I had a dollar for every time over that last 25 years I've tuned into ABC at 10:30 (or 10:35) only to realize “The Game” was still on.

OK, MNF has been kind of a cultural touchstone but has anything good come from it? We got Howard Cosell, the Bears only loss in the 1985 season and Bocephus’ “Are You Ready for Some Football”. Well, I guess it has been a good excuse to extend the weekend, sitting around with the guys and drinking beer on Monday nights. On ESPN it still will be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Back in the old days MLF was the sports event of the week.

But it hasn't really played that role since cable.

JP

Comment Moderation?

I won't be bothering to post any more comments Mr. Liberal censorship dude - just too weird to believe at this point.