Friday, June 30, 2006

The Road To Hell Is Paved With…Bad Slag

teh
One day, on the highway, something went wrong, terribly wrong:
CLINTON -- DeWitt County highway officials say a bad batch of road-surfacing material led to more than 170 flat tires for motorists using the Waynesville Blacktop after a June 16 road resurfacing.

County Highway Superintendent Craig Fink said the tires were punctured by especially sharp shards of boiler slag applied to the eight-mile stretch of road from Wapella through Waynesville. “Boiler slag” is a coarse, hard, black, angular, glassy material left over after coal is burned.
Who knew boiler slag was being used for pavement. Who knew there was boiler slag.

I think I’d be a little pissed if I were the owner of one of the 170 tires even if the county is paying for replacements. (That statistic makes me wonder if some cars had multiple flats). Thankfully, I have no business in Wapella or Waynesville. Something I have in common with most of humanity.

No comments: