Friday, January 12, 2007

Ice a Comin'

...
Don’t look now but that freezing rain “advisory” just became an Ice Storm Warning. And Springfield is expected to be in the thick of it.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
200 PM
CST FRI JAN 12 2007

...SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE THIS WEEKEND...

.A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL PUSH ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST HALF OF ILLINOIS THROUGH LATE AFTERNOON...BECOMING STATIONARY SOUTH OF THE OHIO RIVER BY SATURDAY MORNING. WAVES OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE ALONG THIS FRONT...AND WILL PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OFPRECIPITATION ACROSS CENTRAL ILLINOIS THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

ALTHOUGH COLD AIR WILL BE FOUND AT THE SURFACE...MUCH WARMER CONDITIONS ALOFT WILL RESULT IN THE PRECIPITATION PRIMARILY BEING IN THE FORM OF FREEZING RAIN. SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE LIKELY FROM THIS SYSTEM...WITH THE THICKEST ICE IN AREAS FROM SPRINGFIELD SOUTHWESTWARD.

TRAVEL CONDITIONS THIS WEEKEND WILL BE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS ACROSSMUCH OF THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY.

This is the price we pay for El Nino and/or global warming. In a "normal" year this would likely just be a bit of snow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charging the battery packs on my video cameras!

This time green, and red lights I'll be ready for you!

:)

JP

Anonymous said...

In anticipation of this, I backed the car in the driveway so the driver's door is facing south. Hope I did that right.

Anonymous said...

Decatur has just got alot of cold rain, no ice. Temps have held between 33-36 degrees.

we prepared this time!! It is the best way to divert disaster.

Anonymous said...

I had planned on coming back to school Monday (today). But then we heard of the storm, and rather than risking it, we decided for me to come up Friday instead (it was Friday when we decided that). So, I quickly packed all my things and headed out. The way up there, all it did was rain. Saturday- cloudy and yucky, but no snow or ice. Sunday- rainy. Finally, today we got snow. I could have had an extra couple days at home (that was the last time I'm gonna be home because I'm living up here this summer and from then on) but because of the over hype, I lost them. Course, i don't know what it's like down in springfield, but since everyone's still blogging and people I know are still on instant messengers, doesn't seem like it's the "storm of the century" people were acting like.
Course.... I should have known it wasn't going to be that big of an ice storm... I mean, come on, who's ever heard of snow during winter??

~college one