Thursday, July 26, 2007

Bob Hull (That Was Mr. Hull To Me)

I was sad to see the passing of Robert Hull in today’s SJ-R. I only took one of his classes while I was a student at Griffin High School, but it was one I never forgot. It was a political science course in the fall of 1976, with a presidential election taking place right in the middle. To this day I can still name several members of Jimmy Carter’s initial cabinet because we had to know them for Mr. Hull’s class. I can’t say he initiated my interest in politics and current affairs, but he sure stoked my desire to always know more. He was so knowledgeable and made sure all his students were a bit more informed when he was through with them. We should all be so lucky to leave such a legacy.

My condolences to his family.

2 comments:

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

I had Mr. Hull for a journalism class. He taught us how to write objectively, a skill that I have no use for on my blog, but one that has come in handy in other pursuits.

He had a very interesting, and I'm sure rewarding, career.

I also took a chemistry class that his brother Ron taught. To this day, whenever I hear someone say "What gives?", I think of the periodic table.

Anonymous said...

I did not have Bob, but had Ron for several classes. He had a great sense of humor and kept the classes fun. We would always ask him to tell us "More Ron". He was also a racing fan and would give us updates on the "Grand Prix (cks)"