Sunday, February 25, 2007

Breaking Radio Silence II

.
I’m going to admit it was kind of cool having my blog URL and some of my comments interjected into a story in the State Journal-Register. But why they were included is not cool. In fact, I think it represents lazy journalism that did a disservice to me and to the whole “Brian and Kellie were fired” controversy.

Nick Rogers who wrote the story for the SJ-R had the basic facts: B&K were no longer working at WNNS. What he didn’t have, apparently, was material to fill enough space in the paper. The people involved, B&K and WNNS weren’t talking. So what did he do? He interjected the recent very brief disagreement between two (or three if you count JP) Springfield bloggers, one of whom happened to be Brian Pierce. I hate to bite hand that promotes my blog but this was just wrong. And by the way, if it is shown the blog battle between Pierce and me had anything to do with his firing, and Nick Rogers knew it, I’ll apologize for this assertion.

Meanwhile, check out this little insider comment board used mostly by current and former Springfield radio people (as I write, it’s currently being spammed so you might have to scroll down). They have lots to say about the B&K firings. The comments also reveal how brutal the radio biz really is. I miss it not. Perhaps the most insightful comment I read was one suggesting B&K were just too expensive when WNNS can hire a part-timer to push buttons and back announce songs. Cost/Benefit ratio and all that. Money is the bottom line (duh). Come to think of it, outside of talk radio the personality-driven shows do seem to be becoming somewhat rarer and certainly lamer. But what do I know; I mostly listen to satellite waves.

No comments: