Sunday, February 04, 2007

Tornado Katrina

...
ThirtyWhat gets it all wrong. The best, or at least funniest, Super Bowl commercial tonight wasn’t even a national spot. It was the Tim Davlin for Mayor ad featuring his heroic work in saving Springfield from those big-meanie tornados last Spring. With black and white Katrina-esque images of devastation and recovery from the twisters we are told that it was Tim Davlin that saw us through. Good God, that commercial probably cost 30 to 50k and was seen all over Central Illinois.

I guess Davlin is taking a play from the Bush/Giuliani book of undeserving capitalization on disasters to promote alleged leadership qualities. When bad things happen, politicians are quick to proclaim their not-having-fucked-things-up-even-worse as a great virtue. I found the Davlin ad sort of insulting, just like I did George Bush, fresh from his Air Force One hide-me-in-Nebraska fly-around on 9/11, standing on the rubble of the World Trade Center proclaiming his toughness. A big WHATEVER.

2 comments:

ThirtyWhat said...

Me? Getting it all wrong? That's an everyday occurange ...

Seriously, I missed out on the local commercials. Each time they said, "Now we'll cut to your local affiliates ..." that's when I'd run to the bathroom or let the dogs out.

Davlin's ad sounds like a piece of work though. I'm sorry I missed it ...

Dave said...

TW, good job on the live commercial blogging last night. Even if you missed "the best".