Tuesday, February 27, 2007

No Bad Food On TV

.
It’s not unusual for me to tune into the Food Network when I relaxing and there’s nothing better on the other 3000 cable channels. More likely there is something better on but by the time I find it, show’s over. Anyway, I always find it enjoyable to watch food preparation and if I happen to be eating at the time, well it seems to make my food taste better (I think I’m imagining eating what I’m seeing on the TV).

Shows on the Food Network seem to fall into two categories: Traditional cooking shows where a professional whips up some fine dish without even making a mess, and the other is what I call “traveling shows” that go to restaurants and food preparation places (bakeries, factories) to find and “review” food.

The thing about all these shows is that they never encounter foods the host doesn’t like. That’s understandable for the traditional cooking shows since the cook/host is making the meal and making it the way they like it. But the traveling shows never seem to find a bad meal. No matter what they order or sample, it’s simply the best, mmmmm-mmmmm.

This all-food-is-good-food thing is rather strange and makes me wonder how honest they’re being with us. These shows depend on the goodwill of the establishments they visit and I suspect they’re going to say good things about what they’re eating no matter what. And that’s too bad. I’d like to see Rachael Ray or Jim O’Conner or Al Roker find some bad food and say so. It would make their praises of other eats more digestible.

2 comments:

John said...

Dave-

I have to agree. That's my biggest pet peeve with shows of this genre, especially Rachael Ray. Every thing she eats, she practically falls out of her chair gushing about how wonderful it is. These shows rarely imitate reality. Reality for me is finding a bad meal, no matter how nice the place, once in a while.

Anonymous said...

For the most part, yes, they think all food is good.

However, if you watch closely, you can tell when they don't like the item.

For instance, after they taste a food, they might say "wow, that is really unique" or "those flavors take on a whole new meaning" or other stuff like that, where they don't actually mention the word "good" or any of its synonyms. Basically, it's how they say "your food sucks" without getting kicked out of the restaurant and fired.

~College One
(the woman who watched Food Network almost 24/7)