Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Mascot Malevolence

.
Maybe we should just do away with school mascots altogether. These guys, here and here, hilariously make a good case for it. I say this not so much because mascots can offend but because they are just plain stoooopid.

I have a case in point: The Pleasant Plains High School mascot. It’s a cardinal. At the home games a student dresses up in this full-body cardinal costume which is supposed to look tough by having some well developed pecs. Problem is, these pecs frankly look more like a nice set of tits. It’s all very ridiculous.

But if you still like the idea of mascots and think you might want to dabble in it on your own, try this store. Don’t forget the instructional video. And wow, want to scare the shit out of your opponents? Try an OJ mascot (scroll to the bottom).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who has some Irish history, I am personally offended by the Fightin Irish Mascot. We Irish dont just sit around all day gettin liquored up and gettin in fights. I would if I could...but that's another story for another time.

I was thinking, let's create a new mascot for UIS: The Constipated Pretentious Englishman; see how the WASPS of UIS and their alumni like having their heritage singled out and mocked.

Then again, I went to a college where an oversized Beaver (I think his name was Wally) was our mascot...probably has offended PETA and lesbians a number of times over the years.

Bradjward said...

I've got the new mascot figured out already. Check it out here:

http://blog.bradjward.com/?p=16