Saturday, December 13, 2008

Saturday Music Blogging: Mad World Edition

Back in early 1985, I pulled a copy of Tears for Fears monumental album Songs From the Big Chair out of the trash at the radio station at which I worked. I discovered I really liked a number of the songs on the album and, in fact, a couple soon became big hits (Shout and Everyone Wants to Rule the World). I had never heard of Tears for Fears and assumed that the album was there first. In fact, it was their second.

Tears for Fears first album, The Hurting, I later found out, contained a really good song called Mad World. Recently I heard the song again on my satellite radio and thought it would be good to post the video here. Mad World was also done a few years ago by Gary Jules and his version, which is different but also very good, was featured in the movie Donnie Darko (movie version of the video here).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be a Tears for Fears fan. It's been quite a while since I've heard their name brought up. What a blast from the past.

Mrs TEH

Kathy at Stingfield.com said...

I love Tears for Fears, great band. They released a new album in 2004 with both Roland Orzabel and Curt Smith finally reunited called "Everbody Loves A Happy Ending" that is really excellent, I'm not sure why it didn't get more recognition because there are some truly fabulous songs on it. Somehow they channel a Beatles sort of vibe with some of the songs. I'd highly recommend you take a listen, some of my favorites include the title track, Closest Thing To Heaven and Call Me Mellow, but overall the whole album is outstanding.