Monday, July 24, 2006

Casualties of War

...
I’m not even going to try to untangle the mess that is Israeli/Hezbollah conflict tearing up Lebanon right now. But something I saw on television last week has been bugging me.

I was watching one of the cable news channels Friday night and they had on some analyst who said while Hezbollah was targeting civilians with its rockets in northern Israel, the Israelis were taking care to avoid civilian casualties in its attacks on Lebanon. I suspect this is true at face value but who has actually inflicted more civilian casualties? It’s pretty clear that Israel has, no matter what its intentions. I just thought it was wrong of this guy to start making moral comparisons that mean nothing to those innocents who get in the way of fighting.

Update: Apparently the score is:
Hezbollah – has killed 17 civilians
Israel – has killed 350 civilians

In that same post, Cenk also makes some good points while trying to figure out who is and isn’t a terrorist.

No comments: