Monday, November 03, 2008

Crackers & Butter

We ate at Saputo’s the other night to celebrate my daughter’s 16th birthday (her choice). I like Saputo’s a lot. Mainly because they have good food –who would of guessed. But I think I like them even more now that I’ve realized something that I hadn’t noticed before. They have the basket of crackers sitting on the table and plates of butter are brought out as soon as you sit down. That was SOP back 30 years ago and before. Every sit-down restaurant did it. And as a kid I loved all the different kinds of wrapped crackers I could munch on before dinner.

It struck me the other night how you never see that anywhere but a few locally owned restaurants (locally to wherever you are, not just Springfield). So it’s all kind of nostalgic to me. I suppose that the chain restaurants don’t do it because you can “ruin you appetite” before even ordering an appetizer. It’s just plain bad for business for m, I’m guessing. So hurray for Saputo’s and the crackers & butter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to looooove Club crackers with butter at the Red Coach. And their all-iceberg salad. I was a simple girl.

JeromeProphet said...

Hey, what happened to my comment?

I guess it was too frivolous for this very important subject?

JP

dosura - a nice jewish boy's name, or the word verification for this post - you be the judge.

Dave said...

JP,

Sorry the coment made no sense to me last night and it appeared on two posts. I thought maybe you were having technical difficulties with your cell phone or something, but now I understand you were merely communicating to me from your parallel universe.