Monday, November 03, 2008

Outta My Way State Worker

Having once been an employee of the State of Illinois, I understand how State workers are often subjected to things that those in the private sector are not. On the positive side of the working experience ledger though was the election day holiday we got every two years for no particularly good reason. Now that I am once again on the other side of the employment fence, that state holiday kind of pisses me off (well, makes me jealous anyway).

I mean, why the fuck does anyone need an entire paid holiday to go vote? The rest of us have to make time during our work day due to the hopelessly antiqued law from centuries ago that placed voting day on a Tuesday (time to change that one, folks). I say State workers should be made to vote during the slow periods at the polls, say from 9-11 in the morning and 2-4 in the afternoon. They have the whole day off so get out of the way of the rest of us who have to squeeze voting in before or after work or during our lunch hour.