Wednesday, October 29, 2008

U of I Trustees and Kin

When you are in the voting booth, do you ever NOT vote in a particular race because you simply have no idea who the candidates are? Or do you pick one anyway based on some random criteria like name (hey, I know a guy named Smytheberg!) or party affiliation (might as well just go with the Dem since that’s my tribe)? Mostly I just don’t vote in that race. If I’m feeling particularly mean I might vote based just on party affiliation. But I only do that in reverse, voting against the Republican because I feel they’ve made a bad life choice.


Update: OK we don't get to vote for U of I trustees anymore. Not that I ever did when I could.

3 comments:

doggettmeister said...

I do the same as you. I just don't vote or I vote against the incumbent if I don't know either candidate's record or platform. I don't know if it is a bad idea to vote out the incumbent but I figure fresh blood can't hurt an office.

Anonymous said...

well, "kin" is fine, but it's been a long time since the u of i board was on a regular ballot. from the u of i web site:

The University of Illinois Board of Trustees consists of thirteen members, eleven who have official votes. Nine are appointed by the Governor for terms of six years, and three student trustees (one from each campus) are elected by referenda on their campuses for one-year terms. One of these student trustees is appointed by the Governor to have an official vote. The Governor serves as an ex officio member.

JeromeProphet said...

"bad life choice"

This is the kind of comment that keeps me reading this blog - that, and the fact that I've known you since we were little kids.

LOL