Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Years Notes

Symptomatic of this time of year, I haven't been motivated to blog the last few days. I always swear I'm going to maintain my energy level and motivation through the doldrums of the week between Christmas and New Years, but I never make it. Even the days I was at work I found myself kind of listless, struggling to focus on my job. But with the office half empty, and coming off the Christmas weekend, and then looking forward to the long New Years weekend, it just wasn't happening. So now I have to light a fire under myself to get away from the sleeping in, partying and general escape-from-reality based life that pops up each year at this time. I'm starting that process by posting on the blog again. Tomorrow it's back to work -for real.

Went to a New Year's Eve party last night for the first time in many years. We weren't invited directly, but Former Wingman SK asked the hosts of the party he was going to if we could join in the fun. Of course it was OK with them and there we went. The roads on the way to the party were terribly slick. We missed the five car pile up at Old Jack and Meadowbrook by only a little more than an hour. As we approached the intersection about 8:30, there was one car already in the ditch and we took it very slowly. Fortunately, by the time we went home a little after midnight, things were much better. The street crews had been out salting while we partied.

Speaking of the weather, while we are experiencing sub-zero wind chills and blowing snow today, the forecast is calling for highs in the mid 50s by Sunday. So hang in there.

I never make New Years resolutions and I'm not going to this year. Though I admire those that do.

Usually, we have our Christmas decorations down by now. Not this year. Just don't feel like it today.

We're getting ready to head out to watch the Illini game. I wear no orange and have my SIU shirt on. Oh, and good on the person on West Washington heading into downtown who is flying a Saluki flag outside their house. I'm sure this person didn't buy it around here since there is a lack of retail space due to the need for all things Illini. But I hope Illinois wins anyway.

No comments: